Preschool Cooking Activities are Educational
Preschool cooking activities with young children is a fun and educational activity. By participating in food preparation, a young child can learn many things
- fine motor skills
- science concepts
- sensory exploration
- following directions
- telling time
- More, much more!
- Don’t be afraid of messes
- Be sure to find many safe ways that children care participate; measuring and stirring etc., Leave the use of knives, electric appliances and heating sources to adults.
- Keep directions simple
- Practice safe food handling and wash hands before and after.
- Always supervise young cooks
What to talk about
- Have child describe what they are doing. What are we doing with the raisins?
- Discuss where foods come from.
- Ask them why. Why do you think we need to stir this? Why do eggs have shells?
- Ask them to predict. What do you think will happen when we add the milk?
- Encourage them to observe. Watch how the sauce thickens when we add cornstarch.
- Discuss how the food will be eaten.
Check out the online class-Cooking Up Some Funby